If you are hanging in NYC for memorial day weekend- my advice HIT UP THE HIGH LINE! Annik La Farge, the author of the award-winning guide On the High Line: Exploring Americaâ€™s Most Original Urban Park, shares five reasons to visit the High Line over the holiday weekend right here.
And when you are ready to get your food on Natureâ€™s Own shared some delicious recipes kids can make to celebrate over the long Memorial Day weekend! Being in the kitchen lets children and parents spend quality time while creating memories on this day! Whether it is breakfast, lunch or dessert, the following recipes will let families be together and bond over a delicious meal. and once you and your kids have filled your bellies- get crafty and create a patriotic flag craft!
Keep reading for these 4 Memorial Day Recipes for BBQ Chicken Cheddar Sandwiches, Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches, Tex Mex Burgers and Gooey Chocolate Sandwiches and how you and your kids can make adorable patriotic flag crafts!
#1 BBQ Chicken-Cheddar Sandwiches
(4) Slices Natureâ€™s Own 12-Grain Bread
(2) cups thinly sliced red onion
(2)teaspoons brown sugar
(1/8) teaspoon salt
(1/4) teaspoon dried thyme leaves
(2)cups shredded cooked chicken breast
(3) tablespoons barbecue sauce
(2)teaspoons vegetable oil
(4) (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat deli-style Cheddar cheese*
Additional barbecue sauce (optional)
1)Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
2)Add onion, brown sugar and thyme; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and lightly browned, stirring often.
3)Remove from heat; stir in salt. Set aside.
4)Toss chicken with barbecue sauce in small bowl until evenly coated.
5)Divide chicken and onion evenly over bread slices; top each with 1 cheese slice.
6)Wrap each open-faced sandwich in heavy-duty foil forming a loose packet; seal all edges.
7)Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 8 minutes or until heated through.
8)Carefully open foil packets and drizzle with additional barbecue sauce, if desired.
#2 Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
Ingredients: Servings: 4
(4) Natureâ€™s Own 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Rolls,toasted, divided
(1/3) cup dry bread crumbs
(2) large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
(6 to 7 ounces each) non stick cooking spray
(1/3) cup reduced-fat sour cream
(2) tablespoons finely chopped celery
(2) tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
(4) lettuce leaves
(1/2) cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
1) Preheat oven to 400Â°F
2) Pour 1/4 cup hot sauce into small bowl. Place bread crumbs in shallow dish.
3) Cut each chicken breast crosswise in half to make a total of four equal weight portions of about 3 ounces each.
4) Dip each chicken piece into sauce, then into bread crumbs to coat both sides.
5) Place in greased baking pan. Spray tops of chicken pieces lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
6) Bake 20 minutes or until cooked through.
7) Meanwhile, combine sour cream, celery and cheese in small bowl. Season with salt; set aside. Heat remaining 1/4 cup hot sauce until warm.
8) Place lettuce leaf and chicken piece on each toasted roll bottom. Spread 1tablespoon hot sauce over chicken; top with dollop of cheese mixture. Close sandwiches.
#3 Tex-Mex Burgers
(4) Natureâ€™s Own 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Rolls
(2) teaspoons fresh lime juice
(1) teaspoon ground cumin
(1) teaspoon chili powder
(1/4) teaspoon salt
(1/8) teaspoon black pepper Dash cayenne pepper
(1) pound lean ground beef
(4) slices Manchego, Chihuahua or Cheddar cheese
(4) tablespoons sour cream jalapeno pepper jelly (optional)
1)Combine lime juice, cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a large bowl; mix well.
2) Add beef; mix well. Form into 4 patties.
3) Grill over medium heat until cooked through (160Â°F), about 4 minutes per side, adding cheese slices during the last 2 minutes of grilling.
4)Meanwhile, toast insides of sandwich rolls.
5) Spread 1 tablespoon sour cream on each roll. Place burgers on roll bottoms.
6) Garnish with jelly. Close sandwiches.
#4 Gooey Chocolate Sandwiches
Ingredients: Servings: 2
(4) slices Natureâ€™s Own 12-Grain Bread
(1/4) cup chocolate/ hazelnut spread
(2) tablespoons unsalted butter
(2) teaspoons cinnamon-sugar
1) Spread half of the chocolate-hazelnut spread over each of 2 bread slices.
2) Top with remaining bread slices.
3) Combine butter and cinnamon-sugar in small bowl; spread over outside of sandwiches.
4) Cook in large skillet over medium heat 3-5 minutes per side or until crisp and browned.
5)Cool slightly before serving.
And once you’ve eaten keep the kidlets busy with this PATRIOTIC PAPER FLAG BY BETH KINGSTON
which you can use for party dÃ©cor, bring to your local parade, or make a bunch of these and put in your yard for a fun patriotic display!
Instructions will make four (4) flags.
â€¢ one sheet 8.5 â€œx 11â€ white cardstock
â€¢ navy blue patterned paper with stars (or blue construction paper and star stickers)
â€¢ red ribbon or thin strips of red construction paper
â€¢ Xyron 3â€ Sticker Maker
â€¢ Xyron 1.5â€ Create-a-Sticker
â€¢ hole punch
â€¢ wooden BBQ skewer
1. Cut white cardstock in to four pieces (each piece will be 4.25â€ x 5.5â€).
2. Cut four pieces of blue paper to 2â€ x 2.5â€.
3. Run each piece of blue paper through Xyron 3â€ Sticker Maker. Remove the clear film. Set aside.
4. Run red ribbon/construction paper through Xyron 1.5â€ Create-a-Sticker (if strips are thin enough you can run them through two at a time â€“ one next to the other). Remove the clear film.
5. Peel red ribbon/paper from backing and lay horizontally across the white cardstock, leaving space in between each piece. It is ok to overlap on either side â€“ you can cut off the excess later.
6. Peel blue paper from backing and adhere to the top left corner of the white cardstock, covering some of the red ribbon/paper.
7. Cut off any excess (overlapping) ribbon/paper.
8. Punch a hole approx. Â½â€ from the top and bottom left of the white cardstock.
9. Thread BBQ skewer through holes.